Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Quick Update

Hello to all of my loyal readers--all 2 of you! :) Just kidding...I know there are more out there! Things here have been going pretty well. We had a wonderful 4th of July at my parents house. My grandparents, nieces, sister and her husband were all there. It was a GORGEOUS day, with nice, cool temperatures. It was relaxing and just all around fun. We didn't see fireworks this year, and that's okay with me. The girls went with Jeremy last year to see them and they enjoyed it, but it's just so late for children who are used to going to bed at 8pm! We stayed up in the hills for the entire week after the 4th and other than the insanely HOT temperatures and the smoke-filled air, it was great. We really had a good time, especially since the pool was wonderful and clear and refreshing. Luke loved the water too. Savannah was so thrilled that she is officially tall enough to walk around in the pool, and Abby is not too far behind. She'd walk around holding on to the edge just barely keeping her face above the water--while Savannah would freak out because she was so worried that Abby was going to drown! Luke loved the water too. We got him a little floaty that he can sit in and kick his legs. He had a blast. It was a great way to pass the time and stay cool.

When we got back home, our house was still crawling with fleas. We've bombed twice and had professional pest control out here twice...as well as spending a good amount of $$$ on perimeter treatment. These fleas are MUTANTS!! I think we're doing better now, but we all still have bites all over--I'm not sure if it's from being inside or outside...but we've seen 2 fleas since our last bombing. It's very frustrating!!

Here's a not too happy note: due to the not so desirable influence of some of the neighborhood children, my children have been repeatedly exposed to some unwholesome language. The other day Abby asked me, "Mommy, what does F---ing A--H--- mean?" WOW, I couldn't believe that came out of her mouth. She blurred it all together so I knew she didn't really know what she was saying, but the fact that she even said it really got to me. I told her that it was a horrible thing to say and that if she ever said it, she'd be in MAJOR trouble. Well guess what? The other day Savannah came to me and said, "Mommy, Abby said a really bad word." I already knew what it was. I followed through with my discipline and hopefully that will never come out of her mouth again. I'm really struggling with this neighborhood situation and could use prayers for wisdom and God's divine protection over the innocence of my children that is slipping away. They're way too young for some of the things that they are being influenced by. We live in a scary, insane world...and I want to protect them as much as possible.

So, because of that little situation, we've started school again. The girls actually asked me to start. They're a bit bored, I guess...and I've got most of our curriculum, so I'm excited to get started--slowly for now, of course. Both of the girls are taking to it wonderfully, so I'm very pleased.

The girls will be getting their ears pierced this weekend--Savannah cannot stop talking about it. She's very excited. I'll post pictures when I get them. I've got some great photos to post from the 4th and all, I'll do that soon too.

A little funny: I visited my friend Alana today. Her daughter, Ella, is 4 months older than Luke. The older children (her son, Kaeden is 5) were playing wonderfully together and Alana and I got some nice social time while the babies played. We were wondering where the babies had gone to and Alana said, "I don't know, as long as they're not playing in the toilet!". We walked around the corner and sure enough, both babies were in the bathroom, splashing merrily in the toilet!!! We had to go get her husband so he could see. It would have made a fabulous picture, but we weren't quick enough! I asked Alana how she called that and she said, "I have no idea, I was totally joking!!!" It was pretty funny though! Babies!!!

That's it for now...it's time to get little man up and get ready to head to the church barbecue this evening.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Hi! That's a tough one. The neighbor kids are repeating what they have heard from the irresponsible adults in their lives. They need another adult to tell them that that is not acceptable language. Unfortunately some like the response they get from using those words, even if it's a negative one...sad. Glad school is going well! Good to start early and then you have some leeway for trips to Grandmas in the fall,lol!
Looking forward to the camping trip with the girls and Jere this weekend! Wish you and Luke were coming too! Huggz, Mom

~*~Janelle~*~ said...

I wish we were coming too. Soon enough though. I do enjoy those mornings when the big kids are gone, since Luke sleeps in so wonderfully. It gives me a nice long time to do Bible study, enjoy my coffee and perhaps get some stuff done.
Yes, I do have to allow for plenty of flexibility in our school schedule for travel and visits. That's an important part of their education! Great to hear from you.