Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Happy Birthday to Luke!

My sweet little man turned 1 today! I know it sounds so cliche, but honestly, the time has flown by. It seems like yesterday that I was pregnant--well, maybe not that I was pregnant, but that he was just a little 'un, it really does not feel like it's been a full year! Luke has been a little under the weather for the past few days...he had a tummy bug and then started getting better and then on Easter was hit with some sniffles and then last night had a fever. Poor guy. So last night was pretty much the worst night since he's been born...I guess he didn't want me to remember what the night before he was born was like for everyone I woke up needlessly! So neither of us slept well and he was very cranky. Then we had to drive all the way home from Papa and Grandmas house. He didn't have the happiest of birthday's--thank God this is just the first and he doesn't know better yet! The girls stayed up at Papa's house, so when they all come down this weekend, we'll have an actual party for him with cake and all (photos to come!).
One year ago at this time I was probably getting my MUCH needed epidural and just getting ready to push. What a magical evening that was! Having babies is the most wonderful experience! Luke was just getting ready to enter the world and we were anxiously awaiting his arrival...wondering what he would look like, sound like, be like. Oh we had no idea the blessing we were in for. Luke is such a precious little gift. When I found out I was pregnant with him, I prayed and prayed that the Lord would bless us with a baby who wouldn't disrupt our lives too much. All babies disrupt to some extent, but after my experiences with my girls, I was praying for someone a bit easier this time! Oh my did the Lord answer my prayers. Luke is that baby I prayed for. So far in this first year I haven't felt sleep-deprived once--even on nights like last night when the sleep just doesn't come, it doesn't feel so bad because I've been so well rested all of the other nights. Luke is an absolute joy--he smiles, laughs, interacts. He loves his sisters, his daddy and of course his mommy! He's so ticklish that I have to remind myself NOT to tickle him too much because it's so tempting to hear that sweet, soft baby laugh. Luke was even one of those babies I had heard about that sleep thru the night at 8 weeks. I never thought I'd get one of those--ever! But God is gracious and He knew what this mommy needed to maintain her sanity.
So, at one year old Luke crawls like a normal baby (not always though--he still does the army crawl plenty--I've discovered why he likes it so much...he can have something in one hand and STILL get from point A to point B very quickly!), he cruises (holds on to furniture and walks along a bit), he still has no teeth. He says "Hi" and "Mama". In fact, he said "Mama" VERY clearly today! Yay Luke!!! He also said it the other day when he was upset, he kinda whined, "Maaaa-Maaaa" and then cried. He used to say "da-da-da-da" when he was babbling, but now he says "Na-na-na". I know more words will follow soon, at least I hope because who can resist baby talk?? What else? Luke helps me empty the dishwasher and he, surprisingly, isn't into everything--yet! He stays out of stuff he's not supposed to get into (except the computer keyboard and mouse--those are some of his favorite toys!). He's still not the worlds greatest eater, but I guess with no teeth, that doesn't help! I'm working on getting him to all milk--we were doing really good until he got this tummy bug and I didn't want to stress his tummy out anymore, so I went to just formula for a few days. He's still taking bottles (I know, I know...if this were the girls that would NEVER have been allowed...but you know what?? Who cares?? He's my baby, it's easy and that's that.). He gets one first thing in the morning, one at naptime, one when he wakes up (4oz) and then one at bedtime. He eats 3 meals a day...usually cereal or eggs for breakfast, yogurt for lunch and then whatever we're having for dinner--if he can eat it--otherwise I'll give him a jar of baby food which he does NOT love. He loves to grab my hand and try to see how far he can fling the food if he doesn't like what he's getting. He's now sitting facing forward in his big boy carseat--how fun!! And the other day I made a discovery that is a HUGE turning point in my opinion--I could hand him snacks in the car to keep him quiet--or to avoid having to pull over to feed him! He's not a big snacker though, so we'll have to work on that. I know the time will come quickly enough, if this first year went this fast, I can't imagine how quickly the next one will go.
Well I'm going to wrap this up. Happy Birthday precious little one. You are such a blessing, such a special gift from God. We are SO happy to have you in our family. You are the PERFECT addition we were hoping for. You are the sweetest little boy I have ever seen. I never thought I would love having a baby boy so very much, but I have to say, you've got my heart in your soft, squishy, chubby little baby hands. I love you so much Midder Snake (that's your current pet-name). Speaking of pet names real quick...the other day Savannah called Luke Lu Lu Jolly-Boy. Lu Lu is already one of his nicknames from Papa and Savannah added the Jolly-Boy part on because he's always so smiley and sweet. Uncle Erik said that's probably not a name he's going to want to hang on to...but I thought it was cute...and just shows how much Savannah loves her little brother. Yes, the girls are in love too. It's kinda hard not to fall completely head-over-heels for Luke. Happy Birthday Precious!!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Happy Birthday Luke! I loved seeing how happy he was with his new toys he got on saturday! He knew just what to do with them. The girls were cute, the way they helped him with the shape sorter and he seemed really familiar with the process already! Love it that he's talking! Ma ma and dada, so cute. Wonder what he will call Savannah and Abby? Love your blogging, Janelle. Huggz, Mom

~*~Janelle~*~ said...

Thanks Karen! I appreciate your comments...I know I always say this, but I sometimes wonder if ANYONE reads this. It's nice to know that someone does! I don't know what Luke will call the girls, but he does say NANA, so I wonder if he'll call Savannah that...and I tried to get him to say Abby and he just said some funny stuff...he's definitely trying more these days though. Don't forget that he says, "HI" too. And he blows lots of kisses, that's the sweetest. It's so cute to hear their little voices though...this is a very fun, very tiring age!