Friday, May 9, 2008

Hip, Hip, Horray....Today's the Day!

Today we celebrate Savannah's 6th birthday!! Yes, her actual birthday is tomorrow, but we're heading up the hill to Papa and Grandma's house tomorrow...so today is the day! We're having lots of children, hot dogs, chips, cake (of course), a pinata and lots of fun! Savannah is so very excited! We're going shopping for all of the last minute stuff as soon as sleep-head Luke wakes up (not counting on that for a while!). I was telling Savannah that 6 years ago today I went to the hospital for my WAY-overdue checkup. I was wondering if she was ever going to come out...and I was admitted on the evening of the 9th and induced at 11pm (after E.R. because it was the night Dr. Mark Green died of cancer and no one at the hospital wanted to miss the show--me included!).
I really can't believe that it's been 6 years--the 6 most wonderful--and challenging years of my life. 6 years ago today I had no idea what a blessing was in store for us. I had no concept of the love a mommy has for her sweet, precious babe. I had no clue how DIFFICULT it was going to be and how stressed I could get...or how tired a person could be without actually dying. :) I can look back now and smile, but man, those early days of motherhood were TOUGH. It's kinda neat this weekend because we've got the party friday, Savannah's birthday Saturday and Mother's Day Sunday. I was released from the hospital on Mother's day when Savannah was 2 days old. Who could ask for a better Mother's Day?? I don't know, but they just keep getting better. This year I get to celebrate with my 3 precious blessings, my mom, my grandma and my sister...so that's pretty special.
I will post photos soon, my card reader on this computer is ka-put, so it's making it a bit difficult for me...but I will post photos soon, I promise.

Yesterday we had tea with some of the neighborhood girls. We did a wonderful Mother's Day card craft (thanks Grandma Karen!) and we made beautiful beaded necklaces for the girls moms. I bought sterling silver "MOM" charms from Brightlings Beads and we used those. They came out fabulously! The girls really seemed to enjoy themselves and each of them ate at least 3 lemon poppyseed scones (we did cranberry juice/7-up instead of tea).

Let's see, what is new?!?! Luke is working on his top teeth...I don't know if I mentioned in another post, but he's got both bottom teeth in now (second one came on on April 22nd). He's running all over with his little push-walker. No steps yet, but he has gone from one place to another with a controlled "fall"! Hahaha. I know it'll come soon, I'm really wondering how he'll be compared with his sisters! (Savannah was 14 months to the day, Abby was 2 days BEFORE 14 months--Luke will be 14 months on the 25th of this month).
Abby has started reading!! Her writing is getting wonderful--she can do all uppercase letters, we'll start working on lower case soon, but the other day I decided to see if she could sound out a word like CAT. She DID it!! :) We got her the beginning Bob Books from the library, so we're going to start on that.
In school we are currently reading the Illustrated Children's Bible (I started from the beginning since we've read their small child Bible about a billion times from cover to cover, this time I want to cover all the bases in a more advanced form). We just read about the flood and we're on the tower of Babel next. We're also on chapter 3 of the Incredible Journey and on chapter 2 of Bambi: a life in the woods (the original Bambi, it's really good!). I've eased up on Savannah's writing and reading and math...since the school year is almost over, and I'm working to implement a Charlotte Mason based curriculum (see Ambleside Online for more info.) I believe I've been divinely inspired to pursue this type of education with my children and also to start a business utilizing what I've learned. More on that to come later...but believe me, it's good! :)

Anyway, I've got lots to do today...especially since we're leaving tomorrow...so that's all for now.

No comments: