Friday, January 14, 2011

I'm going to use the "S" word.

Actually, I'm going to use two "S" words. First of all, at the ripe old age of 7 months, I think that my son has become, *gasp*, SPOILED! And I think that it's time that I buckle down and start, *double gasp* SLEEP TRAINING. Uggghhhh. I hate that word. One of my very least favorite parts of being a mommy to babies is sleep training. One would think that after 4 babies, I'd kinda have this thing down...or that at least I'd have a system down by now. Sadly, I vacillate between the soft-hearted "no-cry" methods and the "get over yourself and just sleep" methods. My mind says that sleeping is a necessity and my babies just need to learn, but I hate to hear them cry, especially in the middle of the night. I've always tended to go with what works until it stops working and then figure something else out...unfortunately, I'm sure this confuses my poor babies and makes the entire process longer and more painful. I'm willing to do pretty much anything for a good nights sleep, so I know I've instilled bad habits in all of my children at some point in time. With Savannah, I rocked her to sleep until she was over 2. With Abby, I was a little more harsh simply because I had 2 babies close together and NEEDED sleep and didn't have the time to do anything other than let her cry. I did end up giving her a pacifier, which she had until she was 4. With Luke it was the bottle in bed. He was a great sleeper anyway, but he also held his bottle by himself at a very young age...and it was so easy, and I got good, blessed sleep! I love sleep. I mean, I REALLY love sleep. If I didn't have 4 children that I care for, educate, cook and clean for and have to be patient and loving with, I could probably get by on less...oh, and if I wasn't pregnant too...that'd probably help. HOWEVER, that is not the case. I am pregnant, I DO have 4 children and my effectiveness as a mommy REQUIRES that I be well rested. Soooo...I've got to figure out what to do with this baby of mine. He's always been a rather lousy napper, but the past 2 nights he's awakened too early (1:30am the first night and 11:30 last night) and usually I just put in his paci and leave, but the past two nights, he's started SCREAMING when I leave! UGGGGHHHH. So, what's a mommy to do? Oh, did I mention that it's gotten to the point where he needs to be practically ASLEEP when I put him down for a nap?!?! He was doing it independently, but things have gone down the drain. HELP!!!

No comments: