Tuesday, March 15, 2011

MuTaNt RaT!

I blogged before about the demise of our first rat, Pip Squeak. He got a respiratory infection and died shortly after buying him--of course AFTER his "warranty" was up. We decided to get another rat and when he started sneezing, we brought him right into the vet (courtesy of Petco) for treatment. He didn't seem terribly sick, but we didn't want to take any chances. They kept him for an entire MONTH! He was on 2 rounds of antibiotics and he seemed to have recovered nicely, so we got to pick him up today. The children were so excited to have him back home. The only problem is: He's GIGANTIC! I don't know what they were feeding him there (actually, they admitted that he was one of the sweetest rats ever and they spoiled him rotten), but he's HUGE. We originally bought the cheapest cage we could get and figured it'd be find for a while, until the rat got bigger, but I honestly was not expecting it to happen this quickly. I had a few rats when I was a child and none of them were this big...he's like a small cat! Jeremy had joked before that he looked like a sewer rat because he's brown, now with his size he REALLY looks like a sewer rat. So, now we're on a mission to find a new cage--STAT!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How did I miss this post? I hope he is there this weekend. But I'm not sure if I will hold him, something about rat tails freak me out. Maybe I'll just stick to holding babies : )

~*~Janelle~*~ said...

Don't worry about holding him...his tail is REALLY long now too! I think you'll be impressed at how big he is though, we NEED a new cage!!

Unknown said...

I can't believe how cute and sweet he was. He may change my thoughts about how creepy rat tails are.